THE LONELY COYOTE – GUITAR TALES
Marc van Vugt – acoustic guitars
New release 2022
On ‘The Lonely Coyote’ every guitar tells a story. The whispers of a gentle poem in your ear, the scream of a heartfelt drama, and in each of them Marc van Vugt’s guitar speaks with its own voice. Acoustic guitar music in the tradition of Bill Connors, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny and Egberto Gismonti.
“My love for guitar started when I was 11 years old and heard the first chord of ‘A Hard Day’s Night’. I was mesmerized by what I heard and was completely absorbed by that sound. At that moment I knew that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.
I love writing for large ensembles, choirs and orchestras. Although the guitar has always been a big part of this, it was never the absolute center of my projects. For ‘The Lonely Coyote’ I decided to strip down my music to just me and my guitar. Not just one guitar: each song is played on a different acoustic guitar with its own sound and its own voice. Each telling a different story, whispering in your ear or at times screaming of emotions.”
MARC VAN VUGT
Dutch Grammy winner Marc van Vugt is known as a musician and composer who constantly surprises with his own projects. These take place in the intimacy of smaller ensembles or in original cross-over projects such as with the Netherlands Chamber Choir and the Metropole Orchestra. Marc performs internationally with his own groups and projects and meets colleagues from the field in his long- running series Marc Meets. His compositions reflect Marc’s experience in jazz and improvised music and contemporary composed music. The music is characterized by long, associative lines that often have melancholic overtones. Reviewers praise his eye for detail and the colorful harmonic elaboration that give the compositions their unique signature. “Music that stays in your head for a long time”.
- ‘The Lonely Coyote has become a bleeding-heart album, …the result of his quest has nothing to do with modesty: this CD is great.’ Rinus van Der Heijden JazzNU
- ‘…They also learn what feeling sounds like for a change, for example in Innocent Children.’ Coen de Jonge Jazzism
- ‘A very accessible and above all fascinating album … a combination of fine melody lines, sound challenges and clearly audible experience’ Eric De Boer Hifi.nl
- GuitarModern “Guitarist van Vugt offers up a beautiful bonanza of acoustic guitar textures and deft playing in the spirit of works by Bill Connors, Ralph Towner, Pat Metheny and Egberto Gismonti.
- A sampling of the ingenuity of a true guitarist…You could also say this is van Vugt’s dessert, …from pure demonstrations to highly empathetic work’. Jazz Bulletin
- NewNotes Ben Taffin ‘The Lonely Coyote – Guitar Tales has become a remarkably beautiful album. For this man definitely knows what he is doing and knows how to captivate the listener from the first to the last note with his eight(!) guitars.’
- ‘Jede “Geschichte” ist anders – alle sind wunderschön. Eine großartige im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes akustische Reise in Gefilde des Jazz, der brasilianischen Gitarrenmusik, der freien Improvisation…. und ja, auch des Rock. Sehr zu empfehlen! Norbert Mendel Er-em-online
- ‘The strengths of this album are superb playing which never tries too hard to be virtuosic and a feeling of improvisation, with excellent compositions throughout.’ – Stephen Godsall JazzHalo.be
- ‘A wealth of atmospheres passes by in sophisticated pieces with the average duration of a pop song. A versatile, virtuosic and accessible album’ Christel Meijer, Jazzenzo.nl
- ‘Lonely Coyote turns out to be a stealthily measured outing for baritone steel-string guitar reminiscent of Ralph Towner…. intimate and frequently crystalline music.’ – Jim Gilchrist, The Scotsman
- On Saturday, January 14 at 20:00 Marc was a guest on Musicians Corner on the Concertzender.
- In the week of November 21, the Lonely Coyote was album of the week, the ‘Hollandse Nieuwe’ on NPO Radio 4 in Passagio by Night. Every day Lex Bohlmeijer played pieces of the album and fragments of an interview. You can listen to it here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- On December 18 Marc was a guest in the program Vpro Vrije Geluiden on NPO radio 4 by Aad van Nieuwkerk. You can listen to the interview here.
- On December 17 the track Bengggg, ‘Song of the Day’ was on Allaboutjazz.com
- The February edition of the major German guitar magazine Akustik Gitarre features a two-page interview and includes the piece Sunny Side Up on the magazine’s bonus CD
- The interview with Marc for Canadian Leah Roseman’s podcast ‘Conversations with Musicians’ can still be listened to via: ‘Conversations with Musicians’
EPK The Lonely Coyote – Marc van Vugt
- Ideal solo concert length is 1 set of 45 minutes or 2 sets of 30 minutes.
- A solo concert can be extended with a set of the Marc van Vugt quartet with Leo Janssen, Sandip Bhattacharya and Ineke Vandoorn
- Can be booked in combination with duo Ineke Vandoorn & Marc van Vugt
- Can be booked in combination with Ineke Vandoorn & Saskia Coolen
- Can be booked in combination with duo Jasper van ‘t Hof & Ineke Vandoorn